The Outsiders

       There are a lot of similarities in The Outsiders book and movie. A huge similarity with the movie and the book was that they both had very identical dialogue. I remember countless times where I was like “Oh yeah I remember he said that in the book”. If you were to put the script and the book next to each other and see the dialogue you would see that they are almost the same. For example in the book after Darry talks to to Johnny and Ponyboy after Johnny killed Bob, he says “Wish I had me a weed.” And if you go back to the movie he says the exact same thing. A bigger example of similar dialogue is the iconic "Stay gold Ponyboy. Stay gold". It is said in the exact way in both the movie and book. Another similarity was that Bob’s death scene was exactly like it was in the book. It had the same dialogue, same actions, same everything.

       There are some differences from book to movie. In the book it start with Ponyboy walking from the movie theater. In the movie it starts the way the book ended, with Ponyboy writing the essay on they Greasers. In the movie Ponyboy is writing it for personal reasons while in the book he is doing it for an essay. The book is a lot more paced and approaches things more slowly. In the movie it goes by a lot quicker and it even acts like somethings in the book never existed. One difference that doesn’t really affect much is that in the book Ponyboy gets slapped by Darry while in the movie he gets pushed.

        My view of the movie was very positive. It portrayed the book very well. Some scene were exactly the way they were in the book which is one thing that I like a lot. One thing that I like is how they casted Ralph Macchio (Aka The Karate Kid) as Johnny. I recognized him the second he showed up. One thing that I didn’t like was how they sometimes skipped somethings in the book. For example they didn’t put in the part when Ponyboy’s grades were low so he had to make an essay on whatever came to mind, giving him a reason to write The Outsiders. But overall I think the movie was pretty good and I would definitely watch it again whenever I have the chance.

Comments

Popular Posts